Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Deep in thought

I have been very deep in thought lately. I have been reading many things and my mind is desperately trying to grasp what I have learned, what I should be learning, and how it all fits.

Although my class has been a lot of work I can honestly say that I am learning much! I have come across so many great thoughts and ideas. I love it especially since others were given these great thoughts and ideas and they had to take the time to dive deep into them... they had to do all the work. Selfish I know but I'm ok with that :)

I have so many things, topics, thoughts, insights I want to blog on... so I'm in the process of narrowing it all down. All that to say I will be blogging on a regular basis, hopefully!

Today I will share this thought with you...

Jesus talked about the harvest. We have all heard about it before. The harvest passages in the gospels are what many pastors use to promote missions. Yes, these are good passages to promote missions and when used in context are very useful. But. But what if we have had the wrong context. When I was at COP (missionary orientation) the president of my agency taught our group out of one of these passages about the harvest. I like Luke's version (I'm totally biased to Luke - don't know why). He presented this passage in a new (to me) way that gripped my heart!

Through the last few months I have come across these harvest verses a lot around the blogging world and have felt that God had a purpose in that. Jesus was readying many to be sent out to preach the gospel - to go tell people about the kingdom of God. He sent out the 72 ahead of him and then turned to His disciples, His close friends and told them that there is a plentiful harvest so pray that the Lord of the harvest would send out laborers.

Ok. Seems reasonable to me. But Jesus was being mysterious - as He always is (but that's a different matter all together). So here is what I never knew or thought of before. Jesus looks at His peeps and says Pray that I would send out laborers... or Pray and ask me to send YOU out. Whow, whow wait. What? Yep, Jesus was telling His disciples that there is a great harvest, there are not people to reap the harvest, so pray that I would prepare your hearts and send you out to be my laborers and reap a great harvest! Holy buckets.




Each one of us has a mission from the Lord, not just missionaries. Jesus has called each and everyone of us to be His laborers in the great harvest. That looks different for every person. But the next time you pray that God would send someone here, there and anywhere still yourself long enough to hear where God is sending you!!! It might be to the grocery store so that you can pay for someones groceries. It might be to go for a walk so you can find someones lost dog. It might be to call a friend who's heart is broken but hasn't told anyone. Just listen - Jesus is calling you too...


~Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment