Sunday, April 22, 2012

Adore, Abide, Always

When I got my first tattoo I didn't think I would get many if any more.  Now 5 years later I have 8 pieces of beautiful art work on my body.  


Let me back up. I want to say this first: I understand that many people do not agree with me regarding tattoos. I get that and that is perfectly fine. I have recently experienced another painful reminder of that. When people put me down because I have tattoos I try really hard to not be offended or hurt. I try but often fail. I think the issue that hurts the worse when criticised for my body art is the correlation people make between my tattoos and my relationship with Jesus. There is something inside of me that is just so deeply hurt when someone thinks that because I have tattoos that I don't or can't really love Jesus.

With that said I want to share something. Revelation 12:11 says, "and they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death."

Each tattoo I have on my body is very personal. People often ask me about their meaning and I share (sometimes in depth and sometimes not). When I accepted Jesus as my savior I was in a bad place. I was a teenager whose heart and mind were tightly held in the grips of the enemy. When I hear people say they don't believe in Satan I am very saddened for them because I KNOW that he is very real. And when Jesus says in John 10:10 about Satan, "the thief comes only to steal and to kill and destroy" He meant it. Satan wants nothing more than to steal, kill and destroy not only our earthly possessions and lives but ultimately our eternal life with God. 

My tattoos represent my walk with Jesus. Honestly, my Christian walk has been hard. The last 11 years have not been easy. Just because I am a Christian doesn't mean that my life is perfect. In many Christian circles I would be considered a faithless heathen rebellious failure. But because I know Jesus, I know that I am none of those things. I am broken. I am sinful. I lack faith often. I am also redeemed, victorious, covered by the blood of Jesus, and deeply loved.


February and March were full months for me. Very hard, full months. My life circumstances were changing so much and I felt as though at any moment the tiny bit of faith I was holding on to was going to break. But during this time the Lord gave me two scriptures - which I clung to.  Psalm 1:2-3 and Ephesians 3:16-21.


Psalm 1:2-3 says, "...but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.


Ephesians 3:16-21 says, "...that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in you inner being, so that Christ my dwell in your hearts through faith - that you being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly that all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen."   

In March I went to a Children's conference and a missionary from South Africa was teaching.  She taught out of... none other that Ephesians 3:16-21 and talked about trees! It was such a gift to have God confirming through another missionary what He was saying to me.


During this time a dear friend of mine gave me a prayer journal. The journal is a 30 day prayer challenge to pray for unreached people groups in East African countries. That night I opened the book and within minutes my heart was a crumbled mess. My heart was desperate to hear from God and He was ready to speak to me. While I thumbed through the pages looking at the art I came across a tree. This tree made my heart skip a beat. I just sat with this book in my hands staring at the tree with my eyes pooling with tears.

Each day there is a short devotion/teaching and then a description of an unreached people group to pray for. On the first day, in a matter of 30 minutes God had brought me to my knees in a state of conviction and unveiling of my heart. The first day's title was Abiding: Extravagant Time with Jesus. The scripture that went along with it was John:15:4,5,16.  It says, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing... You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give to you."


While meditating on these scriptures this is what I wrote:
Fruit grows when it is attached to its source. Jesus tells us if we abide in Him, He will abide in us and we will bear much fruit. If I am connected to the vine/tree I will receive the nutrients that I need. These make me strong and able. Abiding in Jesus - living in a place of constant connection/communication/knowing/experiencing I am filled with more and more of Him. Abiding causes intimacy. The deep longing to be near at all times. An unquenchable love. Abiding in Jesus - I know Him and He knows me. Abide is to have the source of life. The vine of Jesus is life giving. It is strong. It is dependable. It is beautiful. 
The tree in Psalm 1 is constantly being filled because it abides by streams of water - it is connected to the source. So when the season comes to yield fruit is can because it is strong and healthy! Its fruit is good and can be harvested. And when it is not yielding season its leaves do not wither because is is always connected to the living water. It prospers. It does not die. If I plant myself next to the streams of living water - If I abide in Jesus - if I go deep - study the Word, pray, spend extravagant time with Jesus my ROOTS will go deep - giving me strength and faith to thrive and not just survive in any and all seasons. I must abide in Jesus, be planted by the living water. I will be filled with the fullness of God! 
Everything came together in my heart when I laid my eyes on the tree. I knew I had to have it - on me! After connecting with the amazing artist who drew the "Live Dead Tree" I made the trip down to Springfield, Missouri to have him tattoo it for me. 


As I type this and I look at my arm and see this tree I can't even get my mind around all that God has done for me.  Something as so insignificant as a tattoo but that means so much to me He cares about.  My heavenly Father loves to give gifts.  He loves to give His children special gifts.  This tree will forever be one of my favorite gifts from my Abba.


The "Live Dead Tree"


Significance for me -  The tree is in the shape of Africa.  When you see images or think of Africa most things are about death but this tree screams LIFE.  My heart is in Africa and soon so will by body.  My life will be lived there.  This tree signifies the promise God gave me. You will serve my people and live among them in Africa. I will give you my heart for my children. 


http://live-dead.org/
http://live-dead.org/30-day-inspiration/
http://www.facebook.com/FAMOUSFORNOTHIN

No comments:

Post a Comment