Wednesday, October 3, 2012

"get rid of"

I am doing my first Beth Moore bible study.  The study that I am doing is on the book of James.  Let's just say three weeks in and it is kicking my butt!  Seriously.

I have always liked the book of James but doing an in-depth study of James is quickly moving my heart from like to hate love.  James is a heavy hitter.  He did not get this writing gig to write about rainbows and butterflies.  Nope.  Holy Spirit got all up in James' business and wrecked his heart so he could in turn do the same to us.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."  I am going to have to remind myself of this over and over as I study James.  Remember that each Ouch! is worth it. :)

In today's homework I was really captured by the statement "get rid of" (NIV) "put away" (ESV) in James 1:21.  The scripture says, "Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you." (NIV)  Well that is quite direct.  No real questioning as to what James is saying here. 

Get rid of all the crap in your heart and life and with humility receive the Word of God that is put in you through Holy Spirit ~ This will save your soul!

I simply love how Beth ties in scripture from all over the Word that applies to the scripture you are studying.  After going over James 1:21 she jumps to Zechariah 3:1-7.  LOVE pairing Old and New testament scriptures together! I love it!

Take a moment to read Zechariah 3:1-7.  Seriously, do it.  Read it and then read it again and then again out loud!  It is good.  It is life to your soul. Zechariah 3:1-7 says, "Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan standing at his right hand to accuse him. And the Lord said to Satan, 'The Lord rebuke you, O Satan! The Lord who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is not this a burning stick plucked from the fire?' Now Joshua was standing before the angel, clothed with filthy garments. And the angel said to those who were standing before him, 'Remove the filthy garments from him.' And to him he said, 'Behold, I have taken your iniquity away from you, and I will clothe you with pure vestments.' And I said, 'Let them put a clean turban on his head.' So they put a clean turban on his head and clothed him with garments. And the angel of the Lord was standing by. And the angel of the Lord solemnly assured Joshua, 'Thus says the Lord of hosts: If you will walk in my ways and keep my charge, then you shall rule my house and have charge of my courts, and I will give you the right of access among those who are standing here.'" (emphasis mine)

If there is anything wonderful I am learning in this season through the Word and through circumstances in my life is this: God is a God of promises and He ALWAYS keeps His promises. Oh and He really loves us!

No comments:

Post a Comment