Wednesday, November 6, 2013

home

Day 4 of being back in Albertville, France is coming to a close.  I've been pondering what I should say and how to say it about my time at home.  Deep things happened.  Things I wasn't expecting.  I think I'm still processing it all a bit.  Yet, I feel as though I have fallen back in to place quite easily.

Here's a quick recap of my visit home.  Not that you really need to know but I do want a place to write it all down :)

After almost exactly 24 hours of traveling I landed in Omaha.  It was surreal.  As soon as I got through the security section I saw my crew... Mom, Dad and Gracia.  Standing in a row holding bright pink signs that read Welcome Home Nicole.  The phrase quickly broke apart as my Mom sprinted towards me.  The tears began to fall as we embraced.  Our first hug in 9 1/2 long months.  Then the warm and perfect hug from my Dad.

Welcome Home Nicole.  Welcome home.

After much needed 9 hours of sleep I was off and running.  It was the strangest feeling to be back.  I wasn't the only one who thought it either.  It was if I hadn't been gone for more than a couple of weeks.  I just picked up where I left off.  My short two weeks home were full and I intended to get everything out of this time as I could.

The first Sunday I, tried but wasn't very successfully snuck into church.  It was as if life came back to me.  Worship in my mother tongue, oh how I needed that.

I got to spend time with my favorite four little guys.  My "nephews" as I call them.  It was hard to see how much they had grown but the hugs and love I received from them was balm for my heart.  I was actually quite nervous at how Mason, my god-son, the youngest of the four would react to me.  Every time I facetime their mom Sasha he wants to talk to me, give me hugs and kisses through the screen but that is through a screen.  I didn't know if he would really remember who I am.  But all fears aside, Mason showed me more love now than he ever did before I left.  Talk about healing to my heart!

I loved the time I got to spend with my Mom.  To see how our relationship has developed and grown over the last 9 1/2 months is nothing short of amazing!  It was so cute... she kept touching my arm or putting her hand on my back or giving me hugs and saying, "I can't believe you're here like really here in the flesh! It's so weird!  There's no computer screen."  It was really wonderful for me to see how happy it made her to have me home.  There were many tears but like I told her at the airport the day I left... I would be hurt if she didn't cry.  The tears show me how much she loves me.  Selfishly, I needed those tears.

I got to have amazing, deep, heart-to-heart and face-to-face conversations with the best and most wonderful friends a girl could ever ask for.  There is little in this world that comes close to the power of friendships that are rooted and grounded in Christ and make you want to be a better person.  There is little in this world that comes anywhere near what a gift it is to have the freedom to be yourself and share your heart and be understood.

My daddy and I had our friday night Daddy/Daughter date at my high school's football game.  Just like old times!  It's funny because I have never told him I call it that but that is what it has always been for me.  My special time to spend one-on-one time together.  Just one of the many reasons I love the game of football :)

My sister, brother-in-law, fur nephew and fur niece came in for the weekend to celebrate my birthday. It was really great being able to see them!!!  I love that even though we live very different lives our love for each other pushes through any differences.  My sister is a really amazing woman!

No birthday is complete (for me) without a bon-fire at the farm and roasting some Smores!  I am thankful for our family farm!  So many great memories.

My birthday celebration was incredible.  I had no idea so many people would be able to make it!  I was blown away by the love and support that was lavished upon me that night.  I felt so blessed and still do!

The second Sunday my Pastor asked me to share.  I didn't prepare anything, I just asked the Lord to speak through me.  It was a great experience to be able to share from a new place in my life and in my heart to the teens.  So much of me wants to be a resource for them and I pray that God grows me into a woman they can learn from.

I didn't think it was going to work out but it did and I was SO thankful to be able to prayer lead my friend Aleah's worship with the word set at the Hub.  Wow.  Talk about feeling at home and in my element!  God blew me away with this experience.  

All this and so much more happened when I was home.  It was busy.  It was a bit overwhelming at times.  But it was perfect and I don't regret a minute I spent at home!

p.s. There are pictures posted on my facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment