Friday, January 10, 2014

A letter to 2013

Dear 2013,

As I sit down to even begin to write this letter my heart is overwhelmed by what all that you brought my way.  Simply thinking about all that happened within your days is hard.  Writing those thoughts out has proved to be even harder.  Although, not everything that happened in 2013 was hard.  There were good days... many good days!  

If I had to describe in one word what you brought to me it would be... Growth.

From start to finish this year, 2013, proved to be the hardest of my 27 short years of life.  2013 has so many days that are forever seared into my mind.  Happy days.  Victories... big and small.  Frustrating days.  Joys.  Tears.  Fear.  Peace.  Too many airports to count.  New people and new cultures.  Friends.  Phone calls that take your breath away.  And the loss that is beyond comprehension.


Like I said, 2013, you brought me through the floods and made me grow in the process.  Although I wish to never experience another year like you, I am thankful for you.  I am thankful for what I learned within your days.  I am thankful for the growth I see within the shell of this thing I call a body.  


You made me grow.  Grow up.  Grow deep.  Unfortunately I did grow a little wide also.  Your days filled with trials and victories forced me to grow more into the woman I think I am supposed to be.


2013, you helped me grow into a beautiful tree whose roots grew deeper, leaves grew greener, healthy branches grew where dead ones had fallen off.  Growth happened when I wasn't looking and in ways I was not expecting.  


Dearest 2013, thank you for all you did and all you were but I am thankful to say good-bye to you.


Sincerely,

Nicole

"He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season,
and is leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers." Psalm 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment