Wednesday, February 26, 2014

a rough monday

What Monday isn't rough?  But this one was not particularly fun.  The circumstances of the day were not ideal.  The circumstances were uncomfortable.

It all just kind of sucked.  There I said it.

Along with the circumstances letting off a not so kind aroma, my attitude was much less than desirable also.

But really, what person wakes up after a horrible night's sleep and discovers the water has been cut [again], is going to be cheery?  I let it slide because I was leaving fairly early and just assumed it would be back on when I returned.

Then I returned.  No water.

A few hours later, still no water.

As the day lingers on and the heat is beginning to make my mind a little mushy and with it any ability to remain reasonable, my attitudes pops a squat and throws a fit.  But then I ask myself a question.  "You did move to Africa. What did you expect?"

Spirit check.  Ouch.  "What did you expect?"  No really, what did I expect?  What do I expect?

For me the reality of my circumstance is that I did have water, just not running water.  You see my house is set up with a large tank that is always full of safe, filtered drinking water.  I have easy access to water to keep me hydrated at all times.  I also have bottles of water sitting on my counter and in my refrigerator - from that filtered water tank.  [How else do you think I survived at all without my morning coffee?!]  And to top it all off I have several buckets that I can fill with unfiltered water to use for anything else.

The reality is, I had water.  It just wasn't conveniently coming from my faucets or allowing me to flush my toilet or giving me access to relief of cool air from the swamp cooler.

This however IS not the reality of my Malian neighbors.  When the water is cut, which happens quite often where I live, they truly are without water!

What did I expect?  

When I take a moment to think about what is the heart of the issue I realize it's not as much about what I expect.  The heart of the matter is that I am not living with a thankful attitude!  Because the truth is even if I do have an expectation in my mind that I should have water on a daily basis... the real issue is whether or not I am truly THANKFUL for all the provisions I have to offset the fact that there is no water coming from my faucets!!!

Am I thankful for what I have?  Or am I concentrating on what I don't have?

The only thing I should expect is that God will do what He has promised to do... That He will never leave me or forsake me and He will care for my needs! 

I guess I can handle the rough Mondays [and tuesdays, wednesdays, thursdays, fridays, saturdays and sundays] if in the end God changes my heart in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment